Hi! I’m Olivia, Third Culture Kid or TCK.
What is a TCK?
Well, it’s a person who has spent the majority of their developmental years outside their parents’ culture. For example, my dad is French, and my mom is Belgian, and I was born in Tokyo, lived in Dusseldorf, Johannesburg, Vienna, Hamburg, Boston, Auckland, and London. I have finally settled down in London and have been living here for 4 years.
Surprisingly, I’m loving the stability of it all! It has also allowed me to think about my childhood, all of the moving around, and the impact it has had on me. For example, third culture kids have a multicultural background and yet do not identify fully with a single one.
- How do they turn out as adults?
- How does it translate into dating and relationships?
- Do they want to date others like them who have an eclectic background and who may understand them better?
- Can they be happy dating people who have spent their whole life living in one city ?
- How do cultures come into play in dating and longer term relationships?
Stay tuned by following me on the blog as I attempt to tackle these questions, using my own experiences, as well as that of others in the same situation!
Hope you enjoy the ride,